Q2 Passenger Numbers Surge 15.50% YoY at Bologna Airport
Q2 Passenger Numbers Surge 15.50% YoY at Bologna Airport (BLQ) and are up by 11.26% against the same pre-pandemic period in 2019. Continued gains could well lead to Bologna Airport finally exceeding the full year passenger numbers of 2019 before the pandemic hit.
With its modern facilities and efficient services, Bologna Airport is vital in connecting travelers to domestic and international destinations. It is a hub for several airlines, offering a wide range of flight options to various cities in Europe and beyond.
The airport features a well-designed terminal building that offers a pleasant travel experience for passengers. It provides a range of amenities, including shops, restaurants, cafes, and duty-free outlets, ensuring convenience and comfort during the journey.
Comparing Quarter 2 (Q2) Passenger Statistics at Bologna Airport in 2023 with the Previous Four Years
In Q2 2019, Bologna Airport recorded 2,500,396 passengers. Q2 2020 saw a significant decrease in passenger traffic to just 39,125, representing a decrease of 98.44% compared to the same quarter in the previous year. This decline can likely be attributed to the global pandemic and the subsequent travel restrictions and lockdown measures implemented worldwide.
However, there was a substantial recovery in Q2 2021, with passenger numbers increasing to 560,594. This represents a growth rate of 1332.83% compared to Q2 2020, indicating a strong rebound following the pandemic-induced slump.
The positive trend continued in Q2 2022, with passenger numbers rising significantly to 2,408,664. This represents a growth rate of 329.66% compared to Q2 2021, highlighting a continued recovery in air travel demand.
In Q2 2023, Bologna Airport recorded a further increase in passenger numbers, reaching 2,781,928. This represents a growth rate of 15.50% compared to Q2 2022.
When comparing Q2 2019 to Q2 2023, the passenger utilization of Bologna Airport grew by 11.26%. This indicates that despite the challenges posed by the pandemic, passenger traffic has gradually recovered over the years.
Looking at the annual passenger trends, Bologna Airport experienced consistent growth between 2018 and 2019, recording a 10.09% increase in passenger numbers. However, the impact of the pandemic became evident in 2020, with a substantial decrease of 73.46% compared to the previous year.
Nevertheless, there was a significant rebound in 2021, with passenger numbers increasing by 63.75% compared to 2020. This recovery continued in 2022, with a further growth of 107.41% compared to the previous year.
Although the pandemic caused a sharp decline in passenger traffic at Bologna Airport in 2020, there has been a notable recovery since then, with passenger numbers gradually increasing. However, it is important to note that the full recovery to pre-pandemic levels has yet to be achieved.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Analysis of Flight Statistics and Trends for July 2023
The passenger statistics at Bologna Airport in July 2023 highlight the airport's role as a key transportation hub in Italy. With a mix of domestic and international destinations and a wide choice of airlines, Bologna Airport provides travelers convenient access to various locations, further enhancing connectivity and facilitating global mobility.
The top country destinations from the airport were Italy, Spain, Germany, the United Kingdom, and France. This indicates a diverse range of travel options for passengers within Europe and beyond.
Among the international destinations, the top choices for travelers departing from Bologna Airport were Paris, London, Barcelona, Istanbul, and Madrid. These cities are popular hubs for tourism, business, and cultural exchanges, attracting many passengers from Bologna.
The top destinations from Bologna Airport for domestic travel included Catania, Rome, Palermo, Olbia, and Brindisi. These locations represent key cities and popular tourist destinations within Italy, showcasing the domestic connectivity provided by the airport.
Several prominent airlines played a crucial role in facilitating these travel connections. The top airlines operating at Bologna Airport in July 2023 were Ryanair, Wizz Air, Lufthansa, ITA Airways, and Air France. These airlines offer a range of flight options to various destinations, catering to different travel preferences and needs.
Analyzing Passenger Trends: Quarter-to-Quarter Comparison
Quarter-to-Quarter Comparison (Q2 2019 vs. Q2 2023):
- Q2 2019 had a total of 2,500,396 passengers.
- Q2 2023 had more passengers, with a total of 2,781,928.
- The difference between the two quarters is approximately 11.26%.
- This indicates an increase in passenger traffic over the four years.
Highest Quarter (All-Time) Comparison:
- Q2 2023 is the highest quarter ever recorded at Bologna Airport, with 878,455 passengers.
- The previous highest quarter was Q2 2019, with 809,105 passengers.
- The difference between Q2 2023 and the previous highest quarter is approximately 8.57%.
- This shows a growth in passenger numbers compared to the previous highest quarter.
Highest Matching Quarter Comparison:
- Q2 2023 is also the highest quarter ever recorded at Bologna Airport compared to the corresponding quarter in previous years.
- The highest matching quarter was Q2 2019, with 2,500,396 passengers.
- The difference between Q2 2023 and the highest matching quarter is approximately 11.26%.
- This indicates an increase in passenger traffic during that specific quarter compared to previous years.
Lowest Previous Quarter Comparison (Q2 2020):
- Q2 2020 had the lowest number of passengers, with only 39,125.
- The difference between Q2 2023 and the lowest previous quarter is approximately 7,010.36%.
- This highlights a significant recovery in passenger traffic from the lowest point in Q2 2020.5.
Lowest Matching Quarter Comparison (Q2 2020):
- Q2 2020 is also the lowest matching quarter compared to the previous year's corresponding quarter.
- The lowest matching quarter was Q2 2020, with 39,125 passengers.
- The difference between Q2 2023 and the lowest matching quarter is approximately 7,010.36%.
- This demonstrates a substantial rebound in passenger numbers compared to the lowest matching quarter in previous years.
Are you a travel publisher and would like this information for your site/blog/publication?
Contact us on this form to request Bologna Airport Statistics (Statistics, data and infographics are available for a wide range of airports worldwide - please tell us your requirements using the form)
FREE Cancellations, NO card fees!
Value Options View Offers
Useful Information about Bologna Airport
Bologna Airport in Italy experienced a remarkable 15.02% increase in passenger numbers in August 2023. The airport has been witnessing a steady rise in travelers, soaring from 914,094 passengers in August 2019 to an impressive 1,051,453 passengers recorded in August 2023...View...
Bologna Airport in Italy experienced an impressive surge in July 2023, reaching an all-time high of 1,071,006 passengers...View...